What makes a Christian marriage work? What makes a Christian marriage holy matrimony? What should a person who is married look for as his duties and responsibilities in the marriage? Here are 17 commands for marriage from the Bible.
- Let every man have his own wife.
- Let every woman have her own husband.
- Let the husband meet the sexual needs of the wife.
- Pay your conjugal vows. Do not defraud each other in sexual life.
- Come together again after you have consented to live without sex briefly for prayer and fasting.
- Let not the wife depart from her husband.
- If the wife leaves her husband, let remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband.
- Let not the husband divorce his wife.
- Let not the Christian man divorce his non-Christian wife if she desires to live with him.
- If the unbeliever departs refusing to live with the Christian, let him go. Do not force that couple to continue in marriage.
- If you are bound to a wife, do not seek to be loosed.
- If you are loosed from your wife, do not seek remarriage.
- If you are in marriage, live a life free of anxiety.
- If you are not married, live a life free of anxiety.
- Let every man/woman who is married remain in marriage.
- Marriage is for the lifetime of the man and his wife.
- Christians can remarry only Christians only when their companions die.
(From 1 Corinthians 7:1-16).